Links for University of Duisburg-Essen




German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)


The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) promotes all forms of international academic exchange with German research institutions, supporting incoming as well as outgoing students and researchers with access to scholarships and valuable information. DAAD is one of the world’s largest and most respected intermediary organisations in this field. Many students, teachers, researchers and scientists supported by DAAD have been able to gain valuable experiences abroad.

Federal Foreign Office of Germany


The Website of the Federal Foreign Office of Germany offers important and reliant information for Germans travelling abroad as well as for foreigners coming to and staying in Germany. In particular, it is an excellent source of information on the relevant legal requirements such as visas or customs regulations.

Die Brücke - student hall of residence


"Die Brücke" (the bridge) is a student hall of residence and part of the Protestant Study Center in Essen. It is located adjacent to the university campus in Essen and designates 25% of it's 175 rooms to foreign students.

Information for Erasmus incoming students


The document provides very detailed information for students who have successfully applied for a semester abroad at the University of Duisburg-Essen. It contains a checklist of things you have to do and arrange before your arrival, organisation and legal and advises and a good overview of the campus in Essen, as well as some further useful information. Although the document is dedicated to Erasmus students, most parts are valid for IS:link students coming to Essen as well.

Accommodation in Essen: Student halls of residence


In order to find an accommodation for the time of your semester abroad in Essen, you can apply for a room in one of the student halls of residence of the "Studentenwerk Essen-Duisburg" (Student Residence Service Essen-Duisburg). On this page, you can find links to details about the student halls and the necessary application forms.

Tandem language learning


Tandem language learning is a partnership between two students with different native languages, who work together to improve their language skills and learn about the other’s culture. If you are interested in this kind of language learning, you can find a tandem language learning partner on this web page.

List of internet service providers in Essen (in German)


This side presents an overview of possible internet service providers in Essen. You pay for your internet connection on a monthly basis. Please keep in mind to choose a contract with a short notice period when you are staying in Essen only for several months. Unfortunately, this web page is available in German only.

List of courses taught in English


This pdf document provides a list of all bachelor and master courses for Information Systems students taught in English at the University of Duisburg-Essen.

Erasmus scholarship


The Erasmus Programme supports student exchange across Europe and, amongst other things, provides scholarship for students studying abroad at a European university. IS:link students coming from the University of Duisburg-Essen can request scholarships from Erasmus as well and will find necessary documents on this web page of the International Office. You will also find the Erasmus letter of acceptance ("Erasmus Annahmeerlärung") there.

Auslands-BAföG provides information about the public financial sponsorhip programme of the German government for students studying at a foreign univerrsity - the so-called Auslands-BAföG. You will find information about eligibility, application and further useful details about this programme.